Ocean City, MD – The Ocean City Police Department is investigating an Ocean City armed carjacking that occurred during the early morning hours on November 18, 2022.
A concerned citizen informed officers of a possible vehicle break-in in the area of the 10-block of Wicomico Street. While officers were en route to investigate, they were dispatched to the 300 block of Dorchester Street for a report of an armed carjacking with a handgun. Officers located the victim, a 73-year-old man from Brandywine, MD, suffering from a head injury. The victim was transported to Tidal Health Peninsula Regional with non-life-threatening injuries.
During the investigation, the victim informed officers that he was standing near his vehicle in the 300 block of Dorchester Street when a group of three males approached him. One of the males pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded the victim’s personal belongings. During this time, the victim was struck on the back of the head with the handgun. The suspects stole the victim’s vehicle and several personal items.
Officers quickly located the stolen vehicle at a convenience store in the area of N. Division Street. Officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the vehicle fled northbound on Philadelphia Avenue with two additional vehicles. All three vehicles crossed over the Route 50 bridge, leaving the Town of Ocean City.
During the pursuit, stop sticks were successfully deployed on one of the vehicles. This vehicle ultimately stopped in the West Ocean City area. The driver, later identified as Jaquawn Daney, fled on foot. The Worcester County Sheriff’s Office located Daney. Daney was arrested by the Ocean City Police Department. It was later determined that Daney was driving an unreported stolen vehicle from Somerset Street in Ocean City.
Ocean City Police officers did not pursue the remaining two vehicles. Allied law enforcement agencies continued to assist with the two outstanding vehicles. The vehicle that was carjacked was later stopped by the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office and the driver, Juvenile #1, was arrested. The third vehicle crashed and caught fire in Dorchester County, Maryland. Cambridge Police Department reported that three juveniles fled the vehicle just after the crash and were arrested shortly thereafter by officers from the Cambridge Police Department.
During the investigation in Ocean City, officers discovered that several other vehicles parked in the same area had been broken into. Officers learned that a handgun had been stolen from one of the vehicles that had been broken into. During the search incident to arrest, Cambridge Police officers located the stolen handgun and several other stolen personal items on Juvenile #2.
Numerous personal items were recovered from both the suspects and the vehicles involved. Officers were able to trace the property back to vehicle break-ins in the Ocean City and Baltimore areas. Through a coordinated effort between the Ocean City Police Department and several allied law enforcement agencies, the following five arrests have been made in this Ocean City Armed Carjacking case:
- Jaquawn Lashawn Daney, 19, Baltimore, MD: armed robbery, robbery, carjacking, did steal property with value at least $25,000 < $100,000, reckless endangerment, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, and unlawful taking of motor vehicle (two counts). Daney was seen by a Maryland District Court Commissioner and was held without bail. Daney has been transferred to the Worcester County Jail.
- Juvenile #1, 15, Baltimore, MD: is currently in custody in Wicomico County for crimes committed within Wicomico County. Charges are pending for crimes committed in Ocean City.
- Juvenile #2, 17, Baltimore, MD: Juvenile #2 was waived to adult status and charged with the following- armed robbery, robbery, carjacking, did steal property with a value at least $25,000 < $100,000, reckless endangerment, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, handgun in the vehicle, possession of firearm/ammo as a minor, and possession of a stolen firearm. Juvenile #2 was seen by Maryland District Court Commissioner and was held without bail. Juvenile #2 has been transferred to the Worcester County Jail.
- Juvenile #3, 14, Baltimore County, MD: was apprehended in Dorchester County. Juvenile #3 was released to a parent by Cambridge Police Department.
- Juvenile #4, 12, Baltimore, MD: was apprehended in Dorchester County. Juvenile #4 was released to a parent by Cambridge Police Department.
The Ocean City Police Department is prepared and proactively handling criminal violations and citizen complaints of illegal activity to ensure the safety of our residents and visitors. We want to remind citizens that if they see something suspicious, or have concerns about possible criminal activity occurring in Ocean City, reach out to us. We encourage you to call our Tip Line at 410-520-5136, email us at email@example.com or contact the Police Department directly at 410-723-6610.
All subjects mentioned in this press release are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
© 2022 Eastern Shore Undercover LLC TM/SM. All Rights Reserved.