Ocean Pines, MD – The Worcester County Special Hazards Response Team responded to an incident in Ocean Pines this afternoon.
At 3:03 PM the Ocean Pines Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the Ocean Pines Yacht Club located at 1 Mumfords Landing Road for a reported chemical spill in the kitchen.
Upon arrival, firefighters verified all occupants had exited the building and restricted entry until members of the hazmat team could arrive and evaluate further. Hazmat team officials worked with firefighters to identify the products involved and developed a plan for mitigation.
Crews learned an employee accidentally mixed two chemicals together creating a hazardous atmospheric condition in the building. The chemical solution was isolated to a small area of the kitchen. The chemical solution was neutralized and once the building was ventilated it was determined safe to reopen to the public.
Fire Marshal Matthew Owens reminds the public to thoroughly read labels on cleaning products and refrain from mixing them unless explicitly permitted to do so.
One employee was transported from the scene to an area hospital for further evaluation.